The journey


My subjects were a married, middle-aged couple, with two adult children. They danced to my tune, for my pleasure. Their lives changed and they were changed. This particular journey ended in the middle of August 2011.

I may chronicle another journey or regale you with my considerable wisdom but, for now at least, it is journey's end.

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Full English

Although I arrived early, the cafe was busy. The customers were mostly men, mostly middle-aged and mostly, it seemed, manual workers. There was a smattering of blokes in their early twenties, mixed in with the older guys. There were a couple of old biddies sitting alone. I was intrigued to see how Kim interacted with the men.

She was busy when I walked in and didn't see me sit down at a table. Her mousy brown hair was pulled back tight but was not long enough for a pony tail. If she was wearing make-up, it didn't show. And she was wearing a shapeless blue overall, the like of which I hadn't seen since school dinners. Needless to say, she wore flat brown shoes. I had been wondering whether she might be working at the cafe to meet men but it was pretty obvious that she had no interest in them or vice versa.

I pretended to be reading the paper and only looked up when I sensed her presence hovering over me.

"Made it in time today then?" she said with soft, but genuine looking, smile.

I returned the smile and simply said, "Full English, please." Even if she hadn't seen me the day before, I would have been conspicuous. I was the only person wearing a suit and rather good one at that. Not flash but well-cut. And good sensible, lace-up, City shoes with no funny square or pointy toes.

From then on, I was simply warm, friendly and courteous. Lot's of "pleases" and "thank-you's" - a nice contrast compared to her usual ill-bred customers. When I paid, I left a generous tip. I was, dear reader, the complete gentleman.

And that was that. Mission accomplished. My apologies if I have disappointed the prurient amongst you. I hope you were not expecting me to seduce her over the Full English and be rutting her hard, on all fours, before the morning was over? A nice image, i grant you it will take a little time and patience. But stick around and you will not be disappointed. That said, you might be shocked and stay away when you realise what I have in mind for her. And him, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment